- 2 boys, 2 old men that were farmers, and a middle-aged corporal
- "armed and clothed fragmentarily with junk taken from real soldiers"
- haggard, tired, worn out
2. What happens to the scouts?
- shot by the Germans
3. Why does the German photographer take a picture of Billy's and Weary's feet?
- to show "how miserably equipped the American army often was"
4. What was on Billy's wall in his office, which kept him and some of his patients going?
- a bible verse: "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to tell the difference."
5. Describe the conditions on the trains that transported the prisoners. Describe the car that housed the railroad guards.
- cramped, half must stand while the other half sleeps; cold, narrow, little food and water, not allowed to get off at all
- bright, comfortable, good food, decorated
6. Why does Vonnegut refer to the prisoners on the trains as "human beings"?
- no longer individual people, just a mass of beings that eat, drink, sleep, crap, and piss